Saturday 17 September 2016

A LINGERING MEMORY


I was still in form
two in Saint Bridget's College, Aba, Abia State, Nigeria; a very young teenager  @ age 11, with a broad sense of curiosity when something really sick happened.
It was the usual compulsory night bath rituals after night prep and devotions.
I carried my 3 litre blue bucket to the large hall with wooden wornout windows that could barely lock which served as the bathroom, of course I met the senior students and the juniors having their bath already in turns. It got to my turn, so i unwrapped my then small self to expose my fairly developed breast and always clean shaved pubic region. I scooped up water from my bucket and lathered my body well. And all in a bid to return my soap in it's dish on the window sill amidst numerous others, I noticed the unlocked windows were quavering, as if there was a light wind in action, I ignored it since it was only normal. Next, I saw two pair of eyes struggling to see...
The last I could remember was myself on the floor of the slippery bathroom screaming "two eyes". All the well developed seniors in the bathroom ran for cover, while my bruised self was helped by the ladies who have barely anything to cover to clean me up and take me to my bunk.
The rest of the story was left to the rumour mongers and the musketeers back then in school. But those two boys were caught and expelled!
Being a prime witness was never funny then o. And right now, I even wonder what I was trying to hide when I dived for cover.
What if I dived to my own dead on that slippery floor???

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Want To Read