Wednesday 21 September 2016

...THE NIGHT WITH A THIEF

From the confines of my room, I could hear faint screams "ole! Onyeohi! Jide ya!' Outside the walls of my lodge.
It was a silent night; it was just the security men and myself in the compound since all my lodgemates were away for Christmas vacation. I was a little scared but very inquisitive to find out what was going on behind those walls, but I was a bit naustalgic to remain in bed and sleep till the next morning when I would finally travel back home.
There was light in the lodge, which was very unusual for the power holders. Nevertheless, the light gave me the morale to to find out what was really going on outside. I started to the security post just next to the gate, but their door was ajar without any of them in sight. They were Hausa men popularly called" aboki". They doubled as guards and cleaners. I searched their favorite spots but I didn't see them. On a second thought, I felt they went out to chase the thieves who were usually hungry Cameronians looking for empty student lodges to steal from. They always surrendered so easily when caught. Therefore, i felt they have gone to chase them.
As I opened the unbolted gate to look for the security men, the thief barged in on me unawares, stuffing my mouth with a 'dirty handkerchief' I suppose. He bolted the gate behind us and led us to the only lit room in the lodge which was mine.
I was really afraid of his next move. Thoughts of rape ran through my mind. I didn't even have the time or energy to soak in the shock but I managed to scrutinize my hostage when he threw me to my bed like some stuffed doll.
I coughed out the dirty stuff in my mouth and begged him not to harm me.
The non challant robber warned me not to scream else he would do his worse. He was with a pistol, but he slid it into his trouser pockets when he so how frightened I was.
He carelessly paced up and down my room checking his time while I looked on at this stranger like a lost wandering waif.
I kept surveying hid expensive Rolex watch of which he was checking, plus his heavy chain and this clothes. I was wondering how he got into this kind of lifestyle when I dozed off.


Thankfully,I was abruptly woken up from series of indescribable nightmares by my alarm clock @6am with the fear of the worst. I checked my clothes to see if the rubber has raped me like I see in NOLLYWOOD MOVIES, but nothing! I was so paranoid. The robber was not in sight too, neither were the security men. And the gate was still ajar as the previous night. I quickly ran into my room, showered and carried my luggage straight to the park after securely locking my room
.
Afterwards, I vowed never to stay back when others were away on vacation. It was indeed a memorable day for me and I remain ever grateful to God for preserving my life and teaching me a hot lesson.
We should all be inquisitive, but never too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Want To Read